Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mary loves it that I'm eating better...

I'm four days into my new "Paleo lifestyle"...and things are going suprisingly well. Aside from a $95 grocery bill to cover a few (organic) staples, everything's been pretty normal overall.
On Sunday, I took my first dive into the 'real world', while living a Paleo lifestyle. Haha. On Day 2 of my journey, I was invited by Mary to go to an Eagles bar to watch the game. Alright, alright...Eagles? Yes, I know...I'm supposed to be a Jaguars fan, by virtue of Jacksonville being my hometown, but c'mon!...give me a little slack here! After all, I'm a far better girlfriend than football aficionado...so I should be forgiven since I'm supporting my boyfriend's team! Look at that face (see pic of me and bf)...how can you blame me??!? Hahaha (This was a picture from our Vegas trip - not the Sunday trip I'm referring to)

THIS is a picture of me this Sunday when I met Mary at Mr. G's to watch the game. I actually just bought that Jersey a few weeks ago when Mary and I spent an entire day shopping at the Tanger Outlets in Lancaster. Oh boy! Busy day...Expensive day!

This was my first weekend wearing my brand new jersey - so I had to take a picture to send to JFly! =)

But I digress...back to the story. For the first time (probably EVER), I went to a sportsbar and did NOT eat buffalo wings! No french fries, jalapeno poppers, cheesy burgers, no beer...not even RANCH dressing! Instead, I got a chicken caprese salad with pita chips. It was about the only thing on the menu that I could actually eat. And, even then, it was a far cry from Paleo. I saved the mozzarella cheese and pita for Mary - happy girl. I did have a picture of my meal (which I texted to my fellow Paleo buddy, Willie), but I must've deleted it from my phone. Probably for the best...it appeared even less appetizing than it actually was.
ANYWAY - I survived Sunday's bar experience (hardly)...and lived to tell about it. After our sunday afternoon football, we decided to take a shopping trip to Wegman's. It's about 40 minutes away from my apartment, has a pretty incredible organic/natural/healthy section. Now - don't get me wrong - the stuff is expensive!! BUT, I suppose it's worth it to pay a high premium for good health. I told Mary that I'd clean out my cabinets and give her all the stuff that I can no longer eat.
And that is exactly what I did...
Full boxes of cereal, crackers, pounds of Jasmine rice, brand new containers of syrup, hummus, greek yogurt, canned veggies, whole weat noodles, cinnamon raisin muffins (that was a hard one to say good-bye to), tuna fish, new things of whole wheat tortillas....
If you couldn't tell, I had just gone grocery shopping the weekend before reading this book....and Mary was more than happy to take the non-Paleo foods off of my hands. She's such a sacrificial lamb!!
(You may also notice that I always have enough food in my home to feed a small army...to get some insight into this...read an older post of mine: Canned Salmon never tasted so good.)
Good news: I feel that much more committed to this process (and Mary will be eating pancakes for breakfast tomorrow)
Bad news: (see pictures above).
By the way, did I mention that I've lost 7 lbs since last Thursday when I weighed myself. Not too shabby. It's a pretty tough road, but the more I think back to Robb Wolf's book, the harder it is for me convince myself to eat the way I always have...

No comments: