Thursday, January 8, 2009

Canned salmon never tasted so good!

I'm starving. Okay, maybe I'm not exactly "starving"...but I sure am hungry!!
Ever since I had to throw away 2.5 garbage bags full of groceries from the fridge...I've been relying on the food in my pantry to keep me going. I never knew I'd be so thankful for canned salmon.

I've learned a lot at Rock Bottom. For example, when you have money...buy food, buy food, and buy more food! And by "buy food", I mean buy non-perishable food that will survive when your electricity goes out. I now understand why we tend to buy groceries we REALLY like when we go grocery shopping, and then also those groceries that we kind of like...you know, like the can of sliced new potatoes, the chef boyardee ravioli, and the french style green beans. Well, now I get it! We buy those groceries because when we're down and out...they'll still be there, waiting for our desperate appetites...in the depths of the pantry :)

So there I was - last night- trying to figure out what to eat on Day 4 of the Great Blackout Depression. Yes, THAT is exactly what I'll call it...The Great Blackout Depression, which will, from here on out, be referred to as TGBD.

Here are the basic contents of the pantry:

On the right, dont be fooled by the canned foods. I have a box under the cans because I'm too short to see them all without it. lol.

  • lots of spices, baking stuff, and noodles, noodles, noodles
  • 2 cans of tunafish
  • 3 cans of sliced new potatoes
  • 2 cans of Ravioli
  • 2 cans of corned beef and hash
  • 2 cans of tomato soup
  • 2 cans of french style green beans
  • 1 remaining can of pinapple chunks (i ate the other can...
  • 8 remaining bags of ramen noodles (i ate 2 before this picture)
  • 1.5 boxes of macaroni (.5 because I used the cheese pack from one box to correct a horrible overusage of milk in a past macaroni cooking instance)
  • 1 can of canned salmon [not pictured]
  • 1 bag long-grain rice :) Thank GOD for rice!!!

Canned Salmon - the story you've all been waiting for. There's really no story about it whatsoever. I called my mom, shared my circumstances with her...and told her the contents of my pantry. Here's what she came up with. Cook the canned salmon...with a little garlic, onions, and spices...yummy....then boil some noodles (luckily, I had plenty of those!). Then, I put it all together in the oven...and sprinkled a few bread crumbs over the top. Delicious! And believe it or not...it really was! There's a chance that the pseudo-starvation contributed to my taste pallet satisfaction...but I'll take whatever i can get at this point.

Here's a picture of the salmon/rice combo I made with the other half can of salmon...yummy!

I never knew Canned Salmon could taste so good!

Just 7 more days...21 more meals...until TGBD ends and I am "ready" to purchase food that requires refrigeration. I'm almost there.




No comments: