Wednesday, January 14, 2009

2009 isn't even ready for me!

I've never been good at New Year's resolutions. Either I make resolutions that are impossible to keep...or I set some that are so vague and generic, that at the end of the year it's easy to argue my way into believing I accomplished them.

On Dec. 31st I wrote out a list for 2009...not exactly resolutions, but simply a list of things I expected in 2009.

Some examples include:
  • I will be working a job that I enjoy. (DONE as of June 09)
  • I will manage my finances responsibly and well.
  • I will get physical exercise regularly. (DONE)
    and my personal favorite...
  • I will smile often. (DONE)

LOL...the list has about 20 things on it....and few could be considered SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-sensitive). I THOUGHT the list was good...until I heard Alexia's. Man, she really put thought into hers! And each of the goals was SMART. Go figure!

Back to the drawing board...maybe I spent too much time at the drawing board, because my list is SUPER long. The good thing is, I aimed HIGH...in some cases more than others. lol. BUT, at the end of the year, i will refer back to this list and be able to realistically determine whether or not I achieved my goals.

So here they go:

  • I will run a half marathon successfully
  • I will travel to the Philippines
  • I will travel to Panama.
  • I will go to church at least once a month
  • I will put away 10% of my take-home salary into a savings account (that I do not touch)
  • I will work out (or get deliberate physical activity) at least 3x/week
  • DONE - I will take salsa lessons
  • I will quit cursing (or making up words that are stand-ins for curse words
  • DONE - I will wake up every morning and thank God for my many Blessings
  • DONE - I will go to Jessica's baby shower
  • DONE - I will paint/commission my friends to paint all artwork for my apartment by mid March
  • I will start to keep in touch with my family in the Philippines
  • DONE - (kind of) -I will keep a diary and/or blog regularly
  • I will make concerted efforts toward starting my own business
  • I will take the GMAT and/or LSAT test(s) (only after diligently studying!)
  • I will come up with a long and short list for grad schools
  • I will write letters to friends and family
  • DONE - I will make a new friend every month (at least while I'm in a new place)
  • DONE - I will buy a big screen TV for my living room
  • I will buy a bedroom furniture set
  • I will buy a quality cookware set
  • DONE - I will finally order checkbooks!
  • DONE, SO FAR - I will limit my red meat intake to less than 2-3 times per week
  • I will incorporate a servin of fruits/veggies into every meal
  • I will volunteer at least 5 hours/month
  • I will sew (and wear) a complete outfit!
  • I will sew pillows for my couches
  • I will set up wireless printing
  • I will find an outlet to speak/practice speaking Spanish regularly
  • I will start to learn tagalog
  • DONE - I will always have a book to read
  • I will get an online subscription to the Wall Street Journal and read as much of it daily as possible
  • I will spend New Year's Eve 2009/2010 in NYC with friends (Alexia!!!)
  • I will go on a cruise
  • I will make a post-collegiate life scrapbook!! LOL (seriously!)

This will be a work in progress...so as I accomplish things, I will edit this...and as I add things, I'll also modify the list...

Let me know if you have any suggestions!!

1 comment:

justforalex said...

Wireless printing? Don't they have that at McDonalds?