Friday, June 10, 2011

Bed & Breakfast

Happy Friday! Today was the second "summer hours" day of the year, and oh what a day it's been! As background, my company offers flexible work schedules in the summer time, allowing employees to work an extra hour every day (M-Th) in order to end the workday at noon on Friday! Absolutely a beautiful thing after barely surviving the horrible winter weather!

I worked enough extra hours this week to take summer hours for the rest of the year, but unfortunately that's not how it works. Needless to say, i shut my computer down promptly at noon today. And it felt great. Even better, I turned my computer into the IS folks who will be upgrading me to a new one! This one's been on its last leg since it was new two years ago, so today was an exciting day. More importantly, that means NO WORK all weekend! Holler @ your girl. Lol. But really.

Two weekends ago, after Jared and I spent the weekend in Hershey/Philly, I sent him a meeting request through Outlook for a fun filled weekend in wine country (the beauty of working for the same place...I can schedule our dates online! Lol). Somewhere in NY, near Ithaca, is the halfway point between Hershey and Toronto. This time last year, we actually spent a weekend together in Cayuga Lakes...very near here. This weekend, we (Jared is the master planner...he doesn't trust me to choose hotels for fear that I'll put us up in a Super 8 motel or something) chose Seneca Lakes area...or whatever it's called.

Jared sent me the reservation online...thank God for my iPad and the TripIt app...it automatically downloads all trip itineraries to one app directly from my email. Sweet. Anyway...he chose a bed and breakfast for us. I have to admit, this is my first stay in one...so when he told me about it, I w pretty nervous. I believe my response was, "like...in someone's house?" LOL

Back to this afternoon....I was officially on the road at about 1pm after filing up my tank dropping off my computer. (one more time for NO WORK this weekend!) google maps said the ride would be about four and a half hours...one hour longer than Jared's drive. But when you add in his border crossing...we can call it even.

The ride wasn't bad at all. I typically hate road trips because the blaza tends to um...shake a little when you pass 65 mph. And, well, that's not exactly promising. But now that I'm driving my brand new 2011 Subaru Outback...the ride was delightful. And air conditioned. ::sigh::

My gps said I had arrived at my location right on time. Score! Too bad my destination was a mile marker on the New York Thruway. Not good. Somewhere along the way, I must've taken a wrong turn....onto a toll road, no less. Naturally I was carrying very little cash on me. And what little cash I had left my house with this afternoon, I used to buy $0.99 chicken sandwich fro Wendy's and a bottled water. I knew I should've used my debit card!

About 10 miles later, the first exit comes up and I have to take it. I have only two dollars on me and a little bit of change at this point. Too bad I wasn't in the blazer....there's "emergency money" hidden all throughout that thing. Tons of change all over the place too....mostly by accident and less by design. Luckily the toll was only $0.35. Whew!

Fortunately I found my work iPhone earlier this week and brought it with me on the trip. (it's been hiding in the back pocket of my backpack since my Megabus trip...see earlier post). iPhone came through big time...i googled the right address for the B&B and used the Maps app to find my way. Jared had already put his stuff down inside and was waiting for me, like the wonderful boyfriend that he is, outside in the driveway. :-)

The place is nice and the couple who owns the place is nice. They do have a large dog, which threw me off a bit. I'm so glad I remembered to bring my allergy medicine...or else I'd be a wreck by now!

It's about 11:30pm now and Jared's asleep. I'm wide awake; partly because I've never been good at sleepovers, especially not at a stranger's place (kinda how it feels at a B&B)...and also because the family is celebrating Senior Weekend. I guess they have a kid that's graduating tomorrow. Cue the party. Seriously. From the sounds of it, I'm guessing there are at least 20 people out there, all of whom are wide awake....and wearing very heavy shoes, from my estimations. Lol.

We have a busy day ahead of us. First, breakfast with 'the fam' at 8, and then off to a wine tour and food pairing through about twenty vineyards. I'm looking forward to it.


This is a picture from our 2010 trip to the Finger Lakes

I'll do my best to write some more tomorrow or Sunday and let you know what the rest of our stay was like. Hopefully I'll even have a few pictures from the weekend's festivities!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: